What causes acne?
Acne is caused by six main factors:
- overproduction of cells that line the sweat gland
- cell accumulation
- pores infected with acne bacteria
- skin inflammation
- Hormonal changes during puberty or hormonal fluctuations during you period or pregnancy
- not using right skincare products.
A combination of internal and external pressures like stress and diet can be also being held accounted for acne breakouts.
There are two types of acne; late-onset acne and persistent acne. Persistent acne is the diagnosis of those who have generally had acne as a teen and it hasn’t cleared in their mid-twenties. Symptoms of persistent acne often include.
Inflamed pimples commonly found along the lower face, mouth, chin and jaw line
Deep seated, painful lesions
For teenage acne, check out Dermalogica’s Clear Start range.
Late-onset acne refers to those who have experienced acne for the first time either in their 20s, 30s or 40s, sometimes appearing during menopause.
Statistics have shown that between the ages of 12-24, 85% of people experience at least minor acne, with a further 70% experiencing it later into their twenties.
Furthermore, research has shown that:
1/20 adult women suffer from acne
1/100 adult men suffer from acne
4/5 teenagers get some sort of acne
Dermalogica offer an extensive MediBac product range targeted at assisting with persistent and adult acne.
Please see below for recommended MediBac products:
Product: MediBac Clearing Skin Wash
About: A naturally foaming cleanser which helps clear bacteria and oils on skin that is prone to breakouts and acne.
- Removes excess oil without stripping the skin
- Reduces the occurrence of future breakouts
- Calms irritation with its soothing botanicals
About: The mediBac breakout control gel by Dermalogica is a fast-absorbing, antibacterial treatment that eliminates and prevents future acne breakouts.
- Antibacterial treatment
- Eliminates and prevents future breakouts
- Non-drying formula that leaves skin feeling smooth
- Removes bacteria and control acne
- Fast absorbing
- No artificial fragrances, parabens or colours.
About: The mediBac Sebum Clearing mask is a clay masque that absorbs excess surface oil from the skin and acts to prevent further acne breakouts.
- Calms irritation with ‘cooling’ ingredients
- Strengthens the follicle membrane wall
- Removes excess oil from the skin
- Controls inflammation of the skin caused by follicle eruptions
- Prevents further breakouts.